I was strolling down Clarke Quay for the first time since I returned to Singapore. I must say this area has risen up to be my most favorite haunt for the past few years with the emergence of MOS and the development of the bars in the area. It is really amazing how they recreate the chillout ambiance here. One year has changed. MOS has closed down. ZIRCA moved into the old MOS. So I did a little website search on ZIRCA before deciding on paying the 'Megaclub' a visit. I must say that the website, the concept, the publicity team, have been terribly disappointing. So I log on to the forum on ZIRCA main webbie to see what's going on. Oh. We have the Z Squad playing all next week and the next next week. With rotation between the Z team A and Z team B. What kind of club calls your resident DJs 'Z' teams. Z WAS cool! Not to say the seriously lack of new influx of performers makes the whole clubbing experience interesting. NOT. So what if most of the Z team are from Australia? So I said ok. I go on to the forum, down there ONLY a thread with a lad asking the age limit for ZIRCA and whether the membership of MOS can be converted to ZIRCA in someother way. NO ANSWER. Instead we have a random bot spamming randdom what nots on the thread and it has not been erased by the admin. WELL DONE! So later i go on to the website's event sections and see that the performance they are hosting. 'Blood Play' and Tatoo showcase events. Are the owners affiliated with an underground Cult? So I go on MSN to have a small chat with local clubber expert Xen Ho. She filled me in with her horirble experience in Zirca. Now 25 bucks only bring you to one main room in Zirca while the other RnB and Retro Rooms comes in on seperate charges. So basicially U pay per room with the main room costing 25 bucks. NOT IMPRESSED. The crowd on that nights are said to be 'old uncles bringing their china/ktv girls on the dancefloor'. Super turn off. Enuff said. ZIRCA is not going to do better.
I long for the day a club will be created. Owned by DJs, for the DJs and the crowd. Home Club seems nearest to that in the region. A true place for local talents to showcase their skills.
After hitting Zirca, I passed through Attica, I have passed through this club several times but just haven't been inside it cos lack of people wanting to go there. But I think I should seriously go inside one day. They generally play the funky side of house whreas their unheavenly brother 'Attica Too' plays RnB on ladies night so I can kind of guess how the place is like. DJ Stingray on Wednesday. Hm.... Maybe I should apply. I have a cooler name. Hah! But seirously Jonathan Ulysses this Saturday. I did a myspace search on him to check out his tunes and styles. I must say I am really surprised at the quality of the DJ that attica is able to bring in. I was very impressed with his work and style. Progressive House. Been missing out of it for a while. So I have to say. Sorry Marco V. I am not going to ZOUK. Attica Here I come. I must also say that this sort of tempts me to write a weekly note on places to go every weekend night in Singapore. like this DJ vs the other DJ. Haha. Might make this site a hit.
Jonathan UlyssesOn the other hand, I must say that I have applied to DJ at Host Scheme Night in Melbourne for the fortcoming semester. This will mark another chapter in my DJ career which has been stagnant as of late. I have been rather tempted to sign up for open decks at Home Club on one of the tueday to treat it both as warm-up to my host scheme night set. Probably a early night set will do since its a tuesday night. Tune in!

No comments:
Post a Comment