Sunday, December 9, 2007

Zoukout Report from Silso Beach

Hihi! Yesterday and today was quite a busy period for me. Met Up with May for Tea and she's still as cute as my ex says she is. Actually she brought up quite an interesting point about people getting married early in our interesting conversation. It's like when the kids grow up one can actually relax about worrying so much for them (if they can) and get back into the working society.



Zoukout was at night. I had planned to go with Angie and her group however somethings came up. Saw Chermaine and Ian at the venue. Thanks Chermaine and her class for letting my bag camp at their place. Basically I was at the Main Arena from 8pm-8am. It was like the best opportunity to check out the local djs as well as the international djs. Ok from this point onwards I might make some comments that might seem abit defaming to some djs at zoukout if misinterpreted wrongly. So first and foremost, I would like to say I attended the event as an official clubber and not as a dj so yeah and furthermore i believe this blog is somewad also a personal blog. haha so this is not backstabbing yeah. haha. As i have said above I was at the main arena from 8pm-8am.

I witnessed DJ B doing a more progressive house set. kinda dull at first because no one was dancing around pretty much until i met up with austin and his gang and Tauflek from Sarawak.

And then we started to spice things up on one of the podiums with 2 russian dancers until tony tay decided to come in with abit of house and breaks towards the end. i thought the breaks was his own productions thought it was kinda wicked. crazy breaks that made alot of people around me lose their sense of 4/4 beats to dance with however the breakdown was a realli good.

Ame was abit disappointing. OK to be fair his style didn't really suit mine. He played House with a bit of the jazzy elements innit. However one thing for sure was the vibe certainly dropped as he was unable to match up to Tony Tay's set. the 1.5 hours that he was playing was spent sitting down checking out Kid millionaire @ velvet underground and buying drinks and making through the crowd which was building up. To be fair my legs were kinda tired at that point.

Booka Shade came on the main arena with 1.30am on my watch. They played a live set. I apologise for not researching into Booka Shade prior to Zoukout. However they definetly upped the vibe. They consist of 2 dudes. One dude on a digital drumset and the other one on synthesizer or maybe a sampler. I can't really see that properly as their equipments were blocked by some pillars.

At this point of time. I don't know why some irritating blokes in the crowd decided to throw lightsticks onto the stage...and drinks to another portion of the crowd. Pretty Wack if you ask me. Nothing came close to hitting the people on stage but what if it did? Singapore A Great Place to Be? I doubt so? The crowd was pretty international @ the main arena. I met alot of people from Perth, Melbourne, Norway, California, Thailand, India, Pakistan, Mongolia, Malaysia, etc. At this point, I think there was a couple of Trannies on the podiums and amazinglying the whites were hitting on them because they look 'hot' I bet they sure had some shock after they smooched him and led them off the a secluded place.

Anyway, back to the music. Carl Cox was OH YES! OH YES! I must first claim that I have never been to carl's gig nor did I ever bother to download his radio show however his signature style of hard pumping techno was a treat to my ears. one thing i liked realli much about him was also his style of pumping the crowd with his MCing. That was fannitastic as compared to the other more laid back djs.

Armin came up next. His start was rather disappointing actually too much of breakdowns and me knowing 95% of the songs he played thru my loyal following of ASOT and other radioshows. There was a slight wait for the crew to change equipments without disrupting the sounds. Armin started with Fragma - Toca Me (Inspetto 2008 Remix) and Falling by First State. When i thought that it was GG. He started to pump things back with some prog trance and then it peaked with The Doppler Effect - Beauty Lies in the Deep (John O Callaghan Remix) and Aly & Fila - Lost Language. haha good stuff indeed and that occoured 30 mins till his end of the set. I had wondered wad song he would play next to substain that energy level. He went back to play those classic trance songs that are so typical of Dave Pearce and he ended the set with Beautiful day by U2 some remix which i cannot remember off hand. Overall, I would say. He's very well marketed. Appeals to most part of the crowd . and reads the crowd very well.

Aldrin was next and by the time he came along most of the crowd has already turned in..and the mass of rubbish left on the sand was a sight to behold. Not very nice indeed to dance around rubbish innit? He played some reealli good tunes. I am not sure how to classify them..some electonica? I only recognised Justice lol. Anyway My hands are all tired from dancing and typing. Toodles!

2 comments:

Fazli Taufek said...

dude, im back in KL and heading back home tomorrow. i lost you just before AvB cause i met with my Jakarta friends at the back podium and when i got back to our main hangout, i cant find you anymore. Zoukout was a blast and maybe next year i'll give it one more try.

Fazli Taufek said...

hey...i got the photos of that day...just give me ur email so i can send it to you