Friday, November 9, 2007

New Equipments! New Opportunities! Same Old Complaints!

Hi All! It's been a while. Recently i have been busy with my exams. Well not actually since this exam is my least stressful exam of all times. I can't believe doing two geography units can actually take out so much stress out of my usual electrical engineering combination. After two essays in the mid-semester period it seems really smooth sailing for me. However, my exams are not that over yet as I have still 1 exam to complete. However, very little stress on that. I don't aim high for that even if I want because my lecture notes are in quite a mess and my lecturer finds it against the university's policy to upload powerpoints. O well. He's a really nice lecturer, don't get me wrong, just his ideals. I am certain I would get a distinction if i had his powerpoints.

A few things is happening on the music front. Firstly, FileFront, the main host of my mixes have decided that my mixes violate DMCA copyrights rule and decided to remove my mixes, however what was interesting that they could not come out with the necessary proof to their claim. However, their warning letter is kind of scary. Here's the dialog between media darling, Charlie Barr and me.

"Some or all of the file(s) you uploaded to FileFront has been deleted.

The file(s) contained illegal content or were copyrighted and distributed without the
permission of the owner(s). Owners may pursue action against you for the illegal distribution of their creation. Law enforcement agencies will be pursing distributors of illegal
content.

The file(s) were uploaded in violation of our Acceptable Use Policy and Terms of Service. Our policy states you as the uploader are responsible for your actions and will
defend FileFront and anyone associated with FileFront against all claims made.

FileFront has a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY and FileFront will vehemently record and forward any and all
information to help law enforcement agencies investigate and prosecute those who willingly upload and/or download these files to/from our site.

Additionally, FileFront reserves to
right to ban you from use of the file storage system or take any other action it deems necessary.

FileFront's free file storage was conceived and offered solely for gamers to store
LEGAL gaming files and information for their use and for distribution, if desired."

"Hi,
My username is djgrif. I have just received an email from
accounts@filefront.com that my E Playlist 9 has been removed because of
copyrights infringement. However I would like to say that it is
definitely not the case. Firstly, I made the mixes myself and the mixes
are unsigned and all the producers are aware that I am promoting their
tracks on my mixes. So I would like to clarify whether it is alright to
upload my mixes on to the site in the future.

Andrew Yee."

"
Without prior notification from every copyright holder we have no way to
verify that the music is uploaded legally. We cannot simply assume that
you have permission when there is nothing to indicate that you do.

Charlie Barr
Hosted Content and Network Support Management
Ziff Davis - FileFront Division
Email: charlie@filefront.com"

Pretty scary huh! However their excuse is pretty lame nonetheless. However, I could see their stance in playing safe. I bought a new black 13" mac book with 2Gb RAM upgrade for myself for my birthday which has passed! I am now 22 and still alive and kicking! Wow! It's so good to be alive! I immediately purchased Ableton Live 6 to go with the Mac Book so I am feeling a little guilty as the price was steep.

I have been trying actively to promote my mixes online ever since Heartest House Vol. 2 and E Playlist 9 especially on some online forums and i can say E Playlist 9 fared the better of the two and I have reaped some dividends somewhat in being given an opportunity to play alongside DJ / Producer Spirral (below) for Transense @ Plush (Singapore) this coming 29th (Thursday). It's really going to be a massive event for Liquid Dancers and Melbourne Shufflers alike. Hopefully, it will pave roads for more events to come!

No comments: